Carbon Monoxide: Silent killer, yet preventable - kotanow.com- Scottsbluff Area News, Sports, and Weather

Carbon Monoxide: Silent killer, yet preventable

Posted: Updated:

Firefighters want to educate homeowners about the dangers of carbon monoxide.

The gas is odorless, tasteless, and most of all...poisonous.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says that each year, more than 20 thousand Americans visit Emergency Rooms because of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The gas can be emitted by car engines, stoves, and home heating systems. Often times a full years worth of build up in a heating system can prove to be deadly.

Scottsbluff firefighters say they respond to about 30 carbon monoxide calls per year. They share some of the most tell-tale signs of carbon monoxide poisoning.

"Some of the more obvious symptoms of co poisoning are going to be headache and dizziness," says firefighter Jonathan Brumley. "Late sign is going to be rosy cheeks."

The Scottsbluff Fire Department will be holding an open house this weekend, and can teach you more about the dangers of carbon monoxide. The open house is going to be on Saturday from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. at 1801 Avenue B.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KDUH. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.