SB Fire Dept. talks home heating safety - kotanow.com- Scottsbluff Area News, Sports, and Weather

SB Fire Department offers home heating safety tips

Posted: Updated:

As the outside temperatures drop, fireplaces and furnaces in the house click on, and the Scottsbluff Fire Department wants to make sure people are warming their homes safely.
 
Fireplaces are one of the leading causes of fires within the home, and 
Scottsbluff Fire Prevention Officer Zeke Bowen says its important to keep chimneys and fireplaces regularly cleaned, and inspected at least once a year.

He says space heaters can also be dangerous, and there are a few things people should remember when warming up with those portable heaters.
 
"The rule with space heaters is I want to make sure everyone has a three-foot clearance around it in all directions," Bowen said. "You never want to leave the room with your space heater still on or go to sleep with it still running."
 
Bowen says for added safety measures, space heaters should be unplugged from the wall whenever you leave the home.

 

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KDUH. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.