Christmas trees, holiday decor and food can be dangerous to pets - kotanow.com- Scottsbluff Area News, Sports, and Weather

Christmas trees, holiday decor and food can be dangerous to pets, vets suggest "pet-proofing" your home for holidays

Posted: Updated:

Christmas trees and holiday decor may bring holiday cheer to your home, but they can also bring serious harm to your pets.
 
Christmas trees may seem like a fun new playground for cats and dogs, but vets say they can be very hazardous to our furry friends.

Ornaments and tinsel can cause severe damage to a cat or dog's intestinal tract if swallowed, and some light bulbs and bubble lights can contain harmful chemicals if they're ingested or chewed up.

Doctor Cristin Reese at the Animal Health Center in Scottsbluff says holiday decorations aren't the only things that can be dangerous to pets.
 
"As far as the food goes, you want to really worry about chocolates, keep them up and away from pets, make sure little kids or family members aren't sneaking little bits of chocolate because even a small amount of the dark chocolate, especially we get this time of year can be toxic and can cause a lot of health problems for your dogs and cats."
 
Holiday plants such as mistletoe and poinsettias can also be mildly poisonous to animals.

Dr. Reese says the best way to keep your pets free from harm this holiday season is to "pet proof" your house when decorating.

 

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KDUH. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.