Portable space heater believed to be cause of Gering house fire - kotanow.com- Scottsbluff Area News, Sports, and Weather

Portable space heater believed to be cause of Gering house fire

Posted: Updated:

The cause of a Wednesday morning Gering house fire has been identified as a portable space heater plugged in to an extension cord.

The fire was called in at around 8:15 a.m., and crews from Gering and Scottsbluff responded.

Gering Chief Jay Templar says it appears that the homeowners were using an extension cord on a space heater. The cord likely overheated, and caused the carpet to catch on fire.

Templar says the temperatures got hot enough to melt the waterline in the basement, which worked like a sprinkler system to extinguish much of the fire.

When crews got there, there was still a lot of smoke, but had very little flames still showing. spraying water into that room that was on fire.

Templar says the bedroom and basement are primarily what burned and there were no injuries.

The total estimated damage to the house and its contents is estimated to be $70,000. The Firefighter Ministry was on hand as well to see if the homeowners will be in need of assistance of clothes or other donations.

 

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KDUH. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.