Bush catches fire after boy plays with fireworks outside Scottsb - kotanow.com- Scottsbluff Area News, Sports, and Weather

Bush catches fire after boy plays with fireworks outside Scottsbluff hotel

Posted: Updated:
Staff at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites quickly put out a bush fire late Thursday morning in Scottsbluff. 

The accident happened near the back parking lot of the hotel located on Frontage Road shortly before noon.

Scottsbluff fire crews responded to the scene and sprayed water onto the bush after the blaze was extinguished as a precaution.  

Fire Chief, Dana Miller, says a young child was playing with fireworks too closely to the hotel when some fireworks lit the bush ablaze. 

Miller says part of the building's side was also damaged by heat. No other major damage was reported.

He urges community members to read and follow the directions on firework packages before using them and asks parents to supervise children at all times.

"Even though we've had a lot of rain lately everything is extremely dry even out here at this location. The bushes are green but they're very dry underneath. We have a lot of dry grass around all the edges of a lot of these properties. Fires can start very quickly and gain a momentum very fast even though we've had a lot of rain," said Miller.

This is the second fireworks-related accident the fire department has responded to in the last two days.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KDUH. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.